Sign up now
Australia Shopping Network. It's All About Shopping!
Categories

Posted: 2018-01-03 01:48:01

Perth Scorchers coach Justin Langer says Canberra quick Jason Behrendorff's summer could be over as he struggles to get over a stress fracture in his back.

Behrendorff has definitely been ruled out of the Big Bash League as well as Australia's Twenty20 internationals against New Zealand and England in February.

At this stage the 27-year-old hasn't officially been ruled out of the remainder of the Sheffield Shield season, but Langer admitted ihe was unlikely to return.

It was a double blow for the Scorchers with fellow quick Nathan Coulter-Nile also ruled out of the rest of the BBL, Australia's one-day international series against England and potentially the rest of the summer as well.

Langer wasn't optimistic when asked if either would play again this summer.

"I wouldn't have thought so. That's the truth. I'd like to tell you we are, but I don't think we will," he said on Wednesday.

"Tough news about those guys, we've probably known it's on the cards. We knew we were going to have our challenges this year. It's so disappointing for them.

"They're both in the prime of their careers and looking to play for Australia and looking to play BBL cricket. Not to be able to do it I really feel for them."

Behrendorff, who made his T20 debut for Australia last year, was devastated by the news.

He's had a terrible run with injuries in his career, having been linked as a future Australia player in all formats of the game.

Behrendorff has been unable to shake the stress-fracture-related pain that flared up in his back during a Sheffield Shield game last year.

He's being rested from all bowling duties, which will continue until the pain resides.

Behrendorff took to social media to say he was still hopeful of being fit for the Indian Premier League later in the year.

"To say I am disappointed is an understatement, particularly given I missed last season as well with injury," he posted on Instagram.

"It's well known, but in short I've had an on-going issue with my back that flared recently and I've been managing it since the Sheffield Shield season.

"I was really hoping and expecting to be right and ready to go for the Big Bash, but my back is still giving me grief.

"It's been hard news to take, but I want you to know I'm doing all I can to get it right and to get back out there as soon as possible.

"At this stage I'm staying positive and looking forward to opportunities ahead. I'm going to put my name forward for the IPL and see what happens through the auction.

"I loved being in India for the recent T20 tour with the Aussie boys and if I'm lucky enough to get picked up I'm sure it will be a great experience!"

More to come

View More
  • 0 Comment(s)
Captcha Challenge
Reload Image
Type in the verification code above